Saturday, January 31, 2009

More Steampunk Fashion in Comics/TV

The Previews of Warren Ellis' new series has hit his website, warrenellis.com and his hundred other blogs. Ignition City is set in sci-fi 1956 where personal space travel is becoming illegal all over the world (can you imagine?). Grounded space pilot Mary Raven has to journey to Earth's Ignition City to recover her dead father's effects; she discovers a settlement of outlaws and learns more details about her father's death at the wrong end of a ray gun! Can she find Rock Raven's killer before she's thrown into the recycling chipper?

Mary's look appears simple and classic in her pilot gear. She has her necessary personal protection gun (looks more like a 6-shooter than a blaster) and leather cap with goggles for flying; classic motorcycle riding black knee high boots as well; her flowing red hair makes her all the more fabulous (Warren seems to have a thing for redheads). The cover art is inspiring and makes me want to dress up right now!








Also from the Previews Catalog, Captain Jack's manipulator/sonic screwdriver thingiemajig will be available soon.

7 comments:

Steve Bryant said...

(sigh) I can think of a cool character with a similar costume that I'd love to see you do...

;)

Amber Love said...

Oh, Steve, I don't know if I could do Athena justice but I would love to try. Maybe you've just inspired something for the next Supershow (hopefully they'll have it in March).

Steve Bryant said...

How sweet are you?!

Do you want copies of the books?

Amber Love said...

Of course I would! I know they're on comicspace but seeing real deal would be so much better. You can email me at elizabeth.amber at comcast.net for my mailing address.

Holly said...

Amber, do you know of anybody who's done a Steampunk Wonder Woman costume? (Other than Sillof's action figures, of course.) I got my WW bustier put together but I'm not loving the iconic primary colors. Thoughts?

Amber Love said...

Sillof's figure is the best version. There's also the "Amazonia" from DC "Elseworlds": http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=6888&lst=new&cat=ACTION+FIGURES

I know Riddle has done that one: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=60463494

Darker colors are nice.

For more inspiration, ck out this steamy JSA (no WW but you get the idea):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cryptonaut/2259390992/

Holly said...

Hey, nice roundup! I *had* stumbled across Riddle's Amazonia somewhere yesterday and it is a wonderful replica, I just had no idea what it was from.

The Powergirl in her white bloomers had me rolling--I'm not sure it was quite the image she was going for.

Thanks for the leads. :-)