Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New Wonder Woman!

Ok, everyone is talking about it! It's Wonder Woman's biggest news in decades. Jim Lee, co-publisher of DC Comics has given Wonder Woman a new "modernized" look, while new writer to the series J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) is giving her a new origin story. I'm more bother by the new non-Grecian origin than the costume and people are saying that the plan is that this will only last a year. And now I admit that I won't be at the comic shop to get my copy of #600 until some time this weekend.

Now, if you refer to this really old post from 2007 (see image below), I created something rather similar in scope only I wasn't up to sewing jackets yet.

So again, let me just say that ripping off Superman's origin and making it "new" for Wonder Woman is perhaps the worst JMS writing I've ever heard. This is his and DC's way to erasing all the craptastic plotlines that have been this latest volume of the Wonder Woman comic book series. (Sorry, I just didn't get Gail Simone either).

I like the corset and the gauntlets and belt. I can't quite tell what's going on with the boots by the sketch. The jacket is what I would label as "meh" meaning I'm not cringing at it but I don't find it at all necessary. The black pants are the only part that REALLY bother me. It's just a cheap ass way of "modernizing" for a movie. She doesn't need black pants. There would be absolutely nothing wrong if she wore navy pants. It's the same reasons why I dislike the Bucky Cap costume (and I'm not crazy about his condom covered headpiece but that's another story).

As for the numbering, I'm annoyed anytime a book is renumbered because I file my books like a librarian in sequence. She does deserve the #600. In this case, I'm ok with it. However, I find the new #1 of Green Arrow completely unnecessary. There's nothing wrong with just labeling a story arc: Issue #57, Part 1 of 6 of blah-blah-blah. Why all the stupid #1s? Because a book with a #1 on it sells more copies; bottom line: it's about money not about continuity or jumping on points.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber,
I cant stand the look or the change in origin. This is the primary reason I gave up collecting comics about 6 years ago. Everyone wants to tweak this and retcon that, make the origin more edgy or put the hero into whatever fashion accessory is popular that year/decade. I think my biggest gripe is that folk are saying this is the first big revamp of Diana's outfit since the All White Bodysuit in the mod 60's.
There was a similar pants/jacket/croptop look in the 90's when Diana lost her mantle of WW to Artemis. Technically, in my opinion, it was still a big change in Dianas look...and you know what? When the look got old and dated they killed Artemis, put Diana back in the "colors" and conveniently had one of their continuity cleansing crossovers. I have honestly had it with the need to insult our intellect and pocketbooks by resorting to cheap ploys and Project Runway makeovers to generate sales. 'nuff said!

Manu Mane said...

It's very nice to go out to the restaurant or an X-Men party..... : (

Look at the pics in JMS's interview : when she punches someone, the punch leaves a "W"....lol.... just like the Phantom in the 40's...... Sometimes, I don't understand those guys....

Bunche said...

You know I'm with you on this. so the only thing I have to add is that, from some reliable sources that I am not at liberty to divulge, Gail Simone's run on Wonder Woman never really took flight because there "may" have been interference fro the DC Powers That Be. Not wanting her to really play with the character and all that, which was a bad idea because as a character Diana has seldom had good runs. A damned shame.